Monday, May 12, 2014

Book Recommendations

I was going to recommend A Walk in the Woods, I see that a few other people had the same idea. Because we covered so many different genres within adventure writing (autobiography, history, spy/suspense, etc.), I thought it might be great to get a taste of humor. There are parts of A Walk in the Woods that had me laughing out loud in public places. I love when he encounters that crazy, clingy lady who keeps popping up. Anyway, I think Bryson has an interesting perspective on adventure writing because he is a writer first, and because he began hiking in order to write about it.

Since discovering everyone else's pull to A Walk in the Woods, I've been trying to think about some other adventure recommendations. I read Miracle in the Andes and really enjoyed it, although I read it in the same era of my life as Into Thin Air, so could be misremembering... I do think brings the interesting perspective of forced adventure. Unlike so many of the adventures that we read through the semester, the men had absolutely no warning that they were in for a test of survival.

It's been a few years, but I also really enjoyed Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood by Alexandra Fuller. It is a life scattered with adventure, rather than the typical, linear adventures that we have been reading so it may not work.

No comments:

Post a Comment