Monday, May 12, 2014

End of Semester Thoughts.


Over the course of this semester we looked to answer three questions; what is an adventure, why adventure and what does adventure do. I felt we did a very good job of answering the later two questions, but could have done better answering the first question. We looked at two types of adventures, mountain climbing and arctic trekking, but did not consider other adventures.  One book I would have liked to read this semester is Bill Bryson’s A Walk in the Woods.  This appeals to me for two reasons.  One I like the Appalachian Trail, and two it presents a very different adventure than those we read.  Hiking the Appalachian Trail is not as inherently dangerous as climbing a mountain or crossing the Arctic/Antarctic. This would help to expand our notion of what an adventure is.  Bryson also considers many of the questions we looked to answer. Throughout the book he considers why he is hiking and how his hike is affecting him.  This class has introduced me to many amazing books and I am extremely happy I took it.

No comments:

Post a Comment